Skip to content
Vegan Corn Basil Chowder
- 12 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 large ears of corn, shucked with the kernels cut off (you should get about 4 cups of kernels)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced finely
- 2 ribs celery, diced finely
- 1 red bell pepper, diced finely
- 1 medium russet potato, diced finely
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent and starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the celery, bell pepper, potato, and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Add the salt and 3 cups of the corn kernels and stir.
- Add the broth and let it all simmer for about 10 minutes, until the potato is tender.
- Turn off the heat.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, purée the soup until you it is nice and creamy. If you used a regular blender, put the soup back in the pot and reheat slowly.
- Add the rest of the corn and the lemon juice and bring back to a slow simmer.
- Turn off the heat, add the torn basil, and taste. Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with fresh basil.