Spicy Mussels in White Wine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch Green Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/4-inch-thick lemon slices
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh mussels- scrubbed & debearded
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add green onion, garlic, crushed red pepper and Kosher salt; sauté lightly, about 4 minutes.
- Add wine and lemon slices; bring to boil. Add mussels
- . Cover pot and cook until mussel shells open, stirring once to rearrange mussels, about 6 minutes; discard any mussels that do not open.
- Using slotted spoon, then transfer mussels to large shallow bowl.
- Add tomatoes and boil broth in pot until reduced to 1 cup, about 3 minutes; season to taste with pepper and add parsley. Pour broth over mussels and enjoy.
Wine Pairing Feature – Recommended by Ted Ross, Vince & Joe’s Sommelier Morgan – 2009 Sauvignon Blanc, Monterey, Ca. $14.99 750 ml. “Full flavor Sauvignon from Monterey, which is partially barrel fermented for richness. Nice grassy aromas finish with grapefruity-citrus flavors and high acidity”