Grilled Swordfish Steaks w/ Olive Pesto
- 3 pounds 1-inch-thick swordfish steaks, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup pitted oil-cured olives
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed arugula leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 small leeks, well washed
- Arrange swordfish steaks in a shallow baking dish, season well with salt and pepper, and coat with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Let marinate at room temperature for up to 1 hour, until ready to grill. (Or marinate longer in the refrigerator, and return fish to room temperature before grilling.)
- Heat a grill or grill pan until very hot. Meanwhile, to make pesto, combine olives, garlic, arugula, parsley, oregano, and salt to taste in the bowl of a food processor. With machine on pulse, slowly add remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons hot water, pulsing, until coarsely pur?©ed. Set aside.
- Place fish and leeks on grill. Cook for about 5 minutes; remove leeks from grill, then turn fish. Cook fish for another 5 minutes or until nearly cooked through; remove from grill, and transfer to a shallow serving dish.
- Arrange leeks on a serving platter, and place fish on top. Spoon pesto over hot fish, turning fish to coat well.
- Pour juices over fish, and serve.