Pork Steak with Red Onion Marmalade
- 2 each Pork Steaks
- 1/2 Gal. Apple Cider
- 1 1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
- 5 ea. Juniper Berries, crushed
- 1 1/4 Cup Sugar
- Red Onion Marmalade
- 3 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Lbs Red Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Tbs Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Cherry Concentrate
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine
- Combine apple cider, kosher salt, juniper berries, rosemary and sugar.
- Add pork chop and marinate in brine for 40 minutes under refrigeration.
- Remove and pat dry.
- Cook the pork steak on the grill, in the oven or in a pan.
- For the Marmalade –
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed sauce pan and add the onions.
- Cook over medium heat until they begin to soften (about 10 minutes), then add brown sugar and stir to coat.
- Cook until onions are golden brown and then add vinegar, cherry concentrate, and red wine until reduce by half.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Wine Pairing Feature – Recommended by Ted Ross, Vince & Joe’s Sommelier Montoya Pinot Noir – Monterey, California - $12.99 750mL “ Aromas of bing cherries, spicebox, cinnamon and vanilla make this California Pinot Noir pair beautifully with lighter roast meals.”