Skip to content
One-Pot Family Meals: Soy Braised Beef Brisket
- about 4-pounds beef brisket
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 heads garlic, cut in half
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise pods
- 3 in piece of peeled ginger, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 ea dried bay leaves
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cups fresh cilantro, mint and/or basil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- rice noodles or thin linguine cooked for serving
- Season brisket w/ lots of salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed dutch oven with lld over high heat.
- Add brisket, fat side down and sear until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Flip brisket and sear the other side until golden brown.
- Remove brisket from pan and drain any fat out of pan, return pan to stove and add honey, until caramelized, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic onion, cinnamon, star anise, ginger, crushed red pepper, and bay leaves. Stir to coat everything with the honey and softens, about 2 minutes.
- Add beef broth, soy sauce, vinegar, and fish sauce. return the brisket to the pot, making sure it is at least 3/4 covered.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer, reduce heat and cover, cooking for about 3 - 3.5 hours, until it's completely tender.
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board and strain and reserve the liquid.
- Sliced the brisket and return to the pot or serving platter
- Toss herbs together and top the brisket with it.
- Serve on top of noodles, shredded carrots and celery and the braising liquid.