Freekeh Chickpea and Herb Salad
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup freekeh
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery, plus 3 tablespoons chopped leaves
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon lightly toasted cumin seeds, ground, more to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced or puréed (optional)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and add freekeh. Toast in the dry pan, shaking pan or stirring, until freekeh becomes fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 cups water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until water has been absorbed. Turn off heat and uncover. Place a clean dish towel over the pot and return lid. Let sit at least 10 minutes. Uncover and allow freekeh to cool another 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine freekeh, chopped herbs, celery, scallions and chickpeas and toss together. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, cumin, garlic, salt and olive oil; toss with salad. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired. Serve right away or let sit for up to 1 hour before serving.