Lemon and Olive Chicken
- 8 Bone-in chicken breast halves
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and halved
- 2 cups chicken stock or reduced sodium broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. In two batches, sear the chicken, skin side first, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Cut the lemons in half lengthwise and then into this slices crosswise. If the skillet is dry, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the onions and garlic and cool over medium heat until soft but not golden brown. About 3 minutes. Stir in lemon slices, olives, stock and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the chicken on top of the vegetables, pour in any accumulated juices from the plate, and sprinkle with thyme and crushed red pepper. Cover, and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 15 minutes.