- 1 boneless English Roast, 4-5 pounds, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 cup flour season with Sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, such as canola
- 4-5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 6 sprigs fresh
- 1 large baking bag
- 2 bay leaves
- 31/2 cups water or half chicken stock, half water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8-10 small onions
- 5 carrots in 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 pound red potatoes or larger white potatoes in chunks
- 1 pound large mushrooms, quartered
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Pour a sufficient amount of oil to cover the bottom of a large non-stick pan, heat on high.
- Lightly dust your roast with seasoned flour and sear meat until well browned on both sides. Remove meat and pour off oil.
- In a large baking bag, place roast, potatoes, stock, tomato paste, garlic, and onions. Bake in a 325o pre-heated oven for 1 hour.
- At 1 hour, add remaining vegetables to baking bag and cook for 1 1/2 hours more or until tender.
- Skim excess fat from the liquid, cut meat into serving size pieces, arrange on a heated platter and surround with vegetables. Moisten with some of the liquid, pass the remainder at the table and enjoy a true New England tradition.
Wine Pairing Feature- Recommended by Ted Ross, Vince & Joe's Sommelier 2005 Chateau Gonin Bordeaux - $14.99 750mL One of the last values from the Bordeaux vintage of a lifetime!