Chef Angelo’s Featured Recipe – Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 2 ½ lbs extra-large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups diced stalks and leaves of celery
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or as needed
- 28-oz can Italian plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano, crushed by hand
- 1/4 cup drained tiny capers in brine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Pour olive oil and garlic into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once garlic begins to sizzle, add half the shrimp and thyme sprigs.
- Season shrimp with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and toss just until shrimp are seared (but not fully cooked), a minute or two.
- Remove shrimp to a plate with tongs, and repeat with remaining shrimp and another 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Once all shrimp have been seared and removed, add celery to skillet and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add crushed red pepper, letting it toast for a minute, then pour in tomatoes. Wash out can with 1 cup hot water, add that to skillet, and add that to the skillet.
- Season with remaining salt and bring skillet to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes then remove thyme. Stir in capers and add shrimp to cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir In parsley and remaining olive oil. Serve immediately with baguette.