- 1 tri-tip or brisket (2lb)
- 2 veal shanks
- 2 bone-in and skin-on chicken breasts
- 3 lb veal soup bones
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 oxtail, cut into segments
- 3 tbs. kosher salt
- 6 yukon gold potatoes, skin on
- 6 carrots, peeled, large diced
- 2 turnips, peeled, large diced
- 3 zucchini, large diced
- 2 celery ribs, large diced
- 1 white onion, large diced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- ANCHOVY GARLIC SAUCE
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs salted butter
- 1 garlic cloved, minced
- 12 oil packed anchovies
- Rinse the meats except for the sausage under cold running water and place them in a 10 qt. stock pot with enough water to cover.
- Add the salt, potatoes, carrots and turnips and bring to a simmer over low heat, frequently skimming off the scum, about 30 minutes.
- As the broth begins to simmer, add the zucchini, parsley, celery, and onions with the 4 cloves of garlic.
- Let it cook for another 30 minutes and then begin to check the doneness of the various vegetables and meats, removing them when they are tender.
- Usually doneness begins with the potatoes, zucchini, and carrots followed by the chicken breast, veal shanks and oxtail. The last is the tri-tip or brisket, which takes about 40 minutes to cook and should have a pink center when done.
- Turn off the heat and remove and discard the parsley, but leave the celery and the onion to cool with the broth in the
- Serve the boiled meats and vegetables warm. They should be put back into the still-warm broth, then taken out shortly before service and carved at the table.
- To make the sauce: Heat oil and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. When butter is melted, add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in anchovies, mash with a spoon, and cook, stirring occasionally until flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Spoon mixture over Bollito Misto and serve immediately with crusty bread.
Wine Pairing Feature: Recommended by Ted Ross, Vince & Joe’s Sommelier Esenzia- Old Vine Garnacha – Bajo Aragon, Spain - $13.99 750mL ”This is a wine of complexity. Bright cherry red color, intense fruitiness, and flavors of black currants and toasty oak. Silky Smooth!”