Prep Time: 15 minutes
Lentils are a New Year’s Tradition throughout Italy. Many Italian households enjoy lentil soup to ring in the New Year, but this quick and delicious soup can be enjoyed all year round. Lentils are eaten as a symbol of good luck and prosperity. Some lentils are green and resemble coins.
- 1 pound lentils
- ¼ pound Pancetta, bacon or ham diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup of minced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 3 quarts of chicken or vegetable stock
- In a large pot, add olive oil and sauté pancetta until crispy.
- Add onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add lentil beans along with chicken stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn down to a simmer and continue to cook for 30 minutes, or until lentil become tender.
- Serve with grated cheese and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.