Start the new year out strong with veggie and grain forward salads.
Italian Farro and Kale Salad
- For the Salad:
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dry packaged sundried tomatoes, not oil-packed, cut into julienne slices, rehydrated if dry*
- 1 large cucumber seeded and finely diced
- 3/4 cup jarred roasted red peppers drained and finely diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 bunch kale chopped
- 1 cup frozen petite peas thawed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- For the Italian Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rinse and drain farro, then cook according to package instructions. Transfer to a large mixing or serving bowl.
- While the farro cooks, prepare the dressing: In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon, honey, oregano, salt, and pepper until evenly blended. Pour half of the dressing over the warm farro and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the bowl except for the feta: sundried tomatoes, cucumber, roasted red pepper, cherry tomatoes, peas, and parsley. Toss to coat. Taste and add as much of the remaining dressing as you like. Sprinkle with feta, lightly toss again, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold or at room temperature.