Vince & Joe’s Bison Chili
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks (or 1 Bell Pepper), Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 lb. Ground Buffalo
- 3 tbs. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Spanish Paprika
- 2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 (28 oz. can) Whole Tomatoes, Chopped with juice
- 8 cups Cooked Pinto or Black Beans, with cooking broth (or water)
- 2 tbs. Chipotles in Adobo Sauce, Chopped
- As Needed Vegetable Oil
- As Needed Kosher Salt
- Sour Cream, Grated Cheddar Cheese, Chopped White Onion, and Tortilla Chips for garnish
- Heat enough oil to coat the bottom of a large, heavy pot.
- Add the onion, and sauté over medium heat until the onion begins to soften, about minutes. Stir in celery (or bell pepper) and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Push the vegetables to the outside edge of the pot and place the ground meat in the middle. With the end of the spoon, break up the meat and cook for several minutes, occasionally flipping the meat over to brown the other side until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir the vegetables into the meat, adding extra oil if the meat is beginning to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add chili powder, paprika and cumin and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped tomatoes with juice, cooked beans and the broth, and if necessary extra water to keep the beans from sticking to the bottom of the pan. (Add as much water as you like, depending on how thick or think you like your chili)
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, then cook, partially covered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally and add more water if the chili begins to stick to the pot.
- Add chipotles and season to taste with salt. Serve hot, with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, chopped white onions and tortilla chips, if desired.
Wine Pairing Feature – Recommended by Ted Ross, Vince & Joe’s Sommelier Razor’s Edge - Shiraz Grenache, McLaren Vale, Australia - $13.99 750 mL “A dark and rich Australian blend. The Shiraz provides opulent fruit and aromatics while Grenache lends spice and structure.”