Skip to content
Sweet-And-Sour Braised Brisket
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Fresh Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs. Beef Brisket
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 3 cups Reduced-Sodium Beef Broth
- 1/2 lb. Pearl Onion
- 6 Turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Combine wine, brown sugar, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves in zip-lock plastic bag; add beef. Squeeze out air and seal bag; turn to coat beef.
- Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove beef from marinade, reserve marinade.
- Pat beef dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spray Dutch oven with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and cook until browned, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Add reserved marinade and broth and bring to boil. Cover, transfer to oven, and bake 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, bring small saucepan of water to boil. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes; drain. Rinse under cold running water, drain again. Peel onions.
- Add turnips and onions to Dutch oven. Bake, uncovered, until beef and vegetables are fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 1Transfer beef to platter. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to platter, cover with foil to keep warm. Remove and discard thyme and bay leaves.
- 1Add cider and vinegar to Dutch oven. Set over medium-high heat and bring to boil.
- 1Cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes.
- 1Cut beef across grain into 20 slices.