- 1 lb Flank Steak
- 1 Egg White
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 4 Green Onions, sliced on a diagonal into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Can Baby Corn, 8 oz.
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 3 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 Tsp Rice Vinegar, or 1 Tbsp Chinese Rice Wine
- 1/4 Tsp Chile Paste, or to taste
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Oil for frying beef
- 2 Tbsp Oil for stir-frying
- Slice the beef across the grain into thin strips.
- Add the marinade ingredients in the order given and marinate the beef for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the vegetables, wash the green onions and slice on a diagonal into 1 inch pieces.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Rinse the can of baby corn with warm running water. Drain thoroughly.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- When the beef has finished marinating, heat the wok and add 1 cup of oil.
- When oil is ready, add the beef and fry until it changes color. Remove the beef from the wok and drain on paper towels.
- Clean out the wok with paper towel, and add 2 tbsp of oil for stir-frying.
- When oil is ready, add the garlic. Stir-fry briefly, and add the baby corn and green onions.
- 1Make a well in the middle of the wok by pushing the vegetables up to the side. Add the sauce and bring to a boil, stirring to thicken.
- 1Stir in the sugar and add the beef.
- 1Combine with the sauce and vegetables.
- 1Serve hot.
Wine Pairing Feature – Recommended by Ted Ross, Vince & Joe’s Sommelier Bodegas Ramon Roqueta – 2007 Garnacha Crianza, Catalunya, Spain - $10.99 750mL “Red, dark berries and Bing cherries on the nose, with a hint of Anise. Chewy and weighty but surprisingly fresh. A hint of spice on the finish.”