Who doesn’t love fried vegetables?! It is an excellent way for parents and kids to cook together!
- Neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed, for deep-frying
- ½ cup flour, plus more for dredging
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup ice cold seltzer water
- 24 or more vegetable pieces: slices of sweet potato or squash, strips of bell pepper, slices of onion, broccoli florets, asparagus, carrot slices,
- Salt and black pepper
- Soy sauce, optional
- Step 1: Heat two or three inches (more is better) of oil in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan. The oil is ready when it reaches 350 degrees, or when a pinch of flour sizzles immediately. Beat seltzer water lightly with the flour and egg yolks; the batter should be lumpy.
- Step 2: Dredge the vegetables very lightly in the flour, tapping to remove excess. Then dip them in the batter and immediately put in the oil. You can cook 6 to 8 pieces at a time, depending on the size of your pan. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, no more. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately with soy sauce if you like.